Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Herb Boxes!

Last year when I moved into my adorable apartment in Charleston I promised myself I would stop spending so much money on fresh herbs and just grow my own. Finally, a year later, I've gotten around to it! I feel so Martha Stewart, minus the ego and the attitude. Look what I did!:


I finagled two champagne boxes out of local wine shops and outfitted them for the outdoors. I added wooden feet, holes for drainage, rustic rope handles and treated the wood with Danish oil to "weather proof" the boxes. I've planted basil, purple basil, parsley, rosemary, chives, lavender, oregano, sage, tarragon, yellow pear tomatoes and pink heirloom tomatoes.

While at the garden center at Home Depot, I couldn't resist these two beautiful and odoriferous gardenias (which are one of my absolute favorite flowers), so I took them home and planted them up in these gorgeous blue planters. So far my tomatoes are very happy, my oregano is running rampant, and my poor sweet basil is being eaten by something...



I may start selling these herb boxes at the farmer's market in Jacksonville. Hey, you gotta make money, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment