Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Meet Virginia's

Virginia’s is located downtown at 412 King Street a block or so north of Marion Square and catty corner to the church next to the Francis Marion Hotel. This is an important location because on Sundays this brunch spot can’t serve alcohol—that means no Bloody Marys or Mimosas for those of us hungover after our late night shenanigans on Saturday. My most recent visit wasn’t on a Sunday. Be that as it may, I wasn’t about to drink at 9:30 a.m. It isn’t college football season yet.




As a side note, I’ve watched plenty of tables get up and leave the moment they understand they won’t be served hair of the dog. Save the servers the time of resetting your table and move on to a brunch spot that’s not so close to a church.




Though not my first visit to Virginia’s, this place has done a lot of work on itself. Some of my first experiences with this southern kitchen weren’t as good as my most recent. I told you I didn’t have it in for Holy City Hospitality. The server this time was very attentive. I never lacked for coffee. The food was out to us in what seemed four minutes. I was impressed.


My friend and I both ordered one of Virginia’s egg benedicts. I am an egg slut by nature. If the eggs are poached we can even skip foreplay. I ordered the tomato, spinach and bacon eggs benedict. Virginia’s, being a southern restaurant, swapped the traditional English muffin for a big biscuit. For some, this might be too much bread to handle. It was for me. I like the crispiness of a toasted English muffin. For others, this twist might just be perfect. Regardless, everything else was cooked very well, especially those poached eggs!


Virginia's on King on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment