Friday, July 22, 2011

The Anatomy of the Perfect Lunch Spot: the Square Onion


When I worked as the public relations intern for a company in Jacksonville, Fla. I always bitched lamented there wasn’t a better selection of perfect lunch spots nearby. The perfect lunch spot has three components: it’s fast, it’s good and it’s close to your office. Easy enough, right?

Most employees have between 30 minutes and an hour for lunch, so wherever you’re headed has to be close. The ideal lunch spot is within walking distance or is reachable by car within 5-7 minutes; otherwise you’re wasting your freedom time in transit. Bringing your lunch doesn’t count. You never left your desk, which makes you a loser.

Lunchtime is one of the best parts of the day! Wherever you’re headed to satiate your midday hunger should be delicious. A good lunch spot serves good food and has a menu that you won’t get tired of too quickly.

What’s the point in going to a good place that’s close to your office if the service is always slow? Exactly. Your boss will only accept the “The service took forever!” excuse so many times. Besides, rushing through your meal is not good for you and counterintuitive to going out to lunch in the first place.

Luckily, I don’t need to look much farther than the Square Onion in I’On for a perfect lunch spot—it’s fast, it’s close and it’s tasty.

My first time to this delectable and quaint lunch spot was fantastic. My friend, Mark, told me to order the Goose, a warm roast beef sandwich with melted mozzarella, fresh basil and tomatoes with a balsamic drizzle atop rosemary foccacia. The sandwich arrived within 5 minutes.

So often foccacia can be a heavy bread choice, but this wasn’t. It was sturdy enough to handle the heft of the lean roast beef and light enough that I didn’t return to work feeling like I’d consumed too much. The roast beef was, well, beefy—a good thing. The melted fresh mozzarella, basil and tomatoes ended each bite with a flavorful summertime zing that balanced what could have been an otherwise heavy sandwich. Delicious!

I ate the edamame salad in two seconds. With every bite I wondered, “I wonder if they’ll give me the recipe for this?”

In short, I plan on going back. You can follow the Square Onion on Twitter @SquareOnion

Do you know of any great local lunch spots?


Square Onion on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment