Saturday, October 8, 2011

No Ma'am




The past few weeks have been rough. If my life were a day planner (which it so often appears to be) every 30-minute slot would be filled.

We are encouraged to say yes to any and all opportunities in the hopes of living a more exciting, verdant life. I have lived this “yes” mentality for the past seven months. It is exhausting.

That’s exactly what I got—exhaustion. 

As the pressure mounted, I caught a cold, felt increasingly overwhelmed at work and at home, began to resent any and everyone, developed a short fuse with any and everyone and stopped laughing.

It’s taken a few days, but here’s what I did and what I learned to help me combat the American lifestyle of so much work, little play and a lot of ‘yes’:

1.    Learn to say “no.” – This was a difficult one for me. I am a perfectionist with a big heart. It’s hard for me to not help other people. Saying “no” to others is often saying, “yes” to yourself.
2.   Talk to your boss. – I’ve just started viewing my boss as a person. That sounds terrible, but so often we place our bosses on pedestals because of their management position. They’re humans, too, and have probably felt just as overwhelmed, emotional and upset as you.
3.    Go for a run. – Studies show that moving helps alleviate stress. It also helped me boost my confidence, which began to erode when I realized I couldn’t do it all…



No comments:

Post a Comment