Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving 2011

Our home is usually vibrating with merriment this time of year. My mother and godmother have begun to slowly unpack the Christmas decorations. The moveable light-up reindeer populate the house in time for Thanksgiving.


Except this year the house is completely dark. No neighbors or friends will be dropping by for Thanksgiving dinner, our home will remain undecorated and plain for the holidays. Yep, even through Christmas. Both holidays will be spent at my little Mt. Pleasant apartment.


Dynamic and challenging family issues have pulled my mother away from Florida, and our family home, for months now. While we've made it work, Thanksgiving really isn't the same without your family-- or in my case the friends that have become family. 


These "issues" I speak of are complicated and private, but there are those involved who are behaving in such a douchey, puerile fashion that it makes me sick. It makes me even sicker they get to spend the holidays with their families, but we have to make do with make shift holidays. 


I'm determined to make the season as merry and bright as possible.... that is after I recover from my extreme post-turkey lethargy.


Our menu this year:


Roasted Brined Turkey
Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Mash with (all natural) Marshmallows
Collards with Pancetta
Caramelized Onion Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes and Homemade Gravy
Pumpkin Bread Pudding









No comments:

Post a Comment