Monday, July 26, 2010

if I hear one more thing about how bad this economy is I'm going to give birth to a rainbow colored unicorn.

To be perfectly honest I'm angry. Fuming here at home I am #@$%ing sick of the absolute bull*&$% that is going on in the world. Devoid of manners, gentility, smiles, and consideration for other human beings, I have succumbed to the idea that the world basically can kiss my behind. 

I've been putting my name, my résumé and myself out there on every free yet reputable head hunter  website I can find. I have pounded the pavement, called places I'd like to work, called places I wouldn't like to work, called friends, family and acquaintances to ask around, pull strings, etc.  I have applied to 49 full and part time jobs in about a month from Washington, DC to Tampa, FL. I have followed up, I have called, interviewed, left voicemails that make me sound like a chipper stalker with several potential employers.

What am I doing now? I am considering working two part-time jobs just to survive. Now before you give me a lecture on how "life's not fair" and "that's just the way it is in this economy" or "well looks like you're going to just have to work a little bit harder" let me lay it all out for you, nice, pretty, neat, and my favorite, ORGANIZED.

You want to know why potential employers are offering, for the most part, part time jobs? Well, let's take a moment to think. Full time jobs usually include benefits. Benefits like health insurance, dental insurance, severance packages, merchandise discounts, paid time off, 401(k) plans, and even stock options. For a part time worker, you get, well, only part of the benefits of a job. And that, my friends, your hourly wage. I'm looking at a part time job on a College of Charleston website. A part time job where you get paid $7.25 an hour and you work about 30 hours a week? Listen, pal, I don't mind working hard. I don't know any other way to work. Ask my previous employers. I always give 100%. If my name is on it, then it better be perfect. So do not dare to tell me that I might have to work "a little bit harder"-- you get out here in the unemployment line and tell me how far hard work will get you.

Are you getting the picture people? Employers are RIPPING PEOPLE OFF because the economy is bad. If you're working at a company your friends and coworkers have probably been laid off. You now work two to three times as hard as you did before 2008. Did you get a raise? No, but I'm betting you've got a slew of job titles after your name you never had before, unspoken or engraved on your business card. If you're looking for a job, you're probably going to have to look long and hard (I know a guy who has his GRADUATE degree and has been actively searching for jobs and has not found anything). What if you do find a job? Well look closely. Many of the positions that I have found do not pay much. Like $7.25 an hour much. No benefits. Basically you get some sweet, cute, jaded, naive, young rapscallion to work her butt off for nothing more than a measly $870 a month? Wow. Sounds great.

So basically we are turning into an underpaid, over worked and very stressed society. What does high levels of stress lead to? Oh wait! Wait! Call on ME! Stress leads to a weakened immune system, erratic emotional behaviors, abnormal responses to stressors, depression, overeating, undereating, insomnia, sleep deprivation, ulcers, heart problems, low sex drive (uh oh!) and loads more.  What do those problems lead to? We don't have time to name all of those symptoms.

Can you tell that I am upset? Good.

Somebody give me a job.

1 comment:

  1. Which is precisely why I'm going into Mental Health..."if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"! I feel for you on this, it happened to me in 2008 when I was trying to get a job in the business world. Now things are even worse so I can't even imagine. Keep working as hard as you are, eventually the right door will open.

    ReplyDelete